Total Pageviews

Sunday 3 June 2012

Decisions, decisions

It has been a week of decisions rather than work.  It gradually dawned on me that my main problem was lack of fitness.  If I did anything out of the norm I ended up with a pulled muscle or at the very least stiff limbs. 

Over weight.  Oh soooo over weight.  Being only 5'1" I am sure if I fell over I would roll. 

Depressed because of all these things too. 

I think, at times, we all arrive at this "Day of enlightenment".  Mine came last Wednesday after yet another restless night when finally crawling out of bed and realising it was make or break day I took myself off to enroll with a Gym.  It had to be one with a pool as I would rather be in the water than on the rowing machine etc.,.

I am now a paid up member and have been every day - yes, every day.  Walking up and down that stretch of water as if my life depended on it. Less impact on the joints apparently and no, no one quite shouted "Save the Whale" as I stepped in. lol..  Another week of this and I can gravitate towards the treadmill and the bike.

I could not believe how much I had deteriorated, age of course don't help but its no excuse.  Muscles? What muscles? just flab. 

I have 6 weeks to get into some kind of shape before my holiday which is a cruise with the whole family who will be spending all their time in various water activities in which I would be unable participate. I would hate that.

Let this be a lesson to all you avid crafters.  Sitting on your backside sewing and knitting and anything else you do requiring a sedentary position aint good for you.  Well, thats my excuse.

Talking about sedentary and avid, I took this pic this morning at breakfast time.  All the males in the family were sitting avidly watching Smurfs and wrapped in some of Grandma's quilts. 



Mainly due to my other activities  I only have something small to offer for Handmade Monday.  I would not have bothered but trying to keep to the spirit of the event.


Now do pop over to Wendys Handmade Monday on Handmade Harbour.there is always some lovely things there. 

19 comments:

  1. Carol you're so right about crafts being a sedentary pursuit. I struggle to exercise, but I'm also a gym member and make it down there once in a while! I think I should've joined one with a pool! Your family breakfast pic is so lovely and cosy. The baby jacket may be small but it's beautiful! Good luck with your gym and swimming sessions x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done on joining the gym! Swimming is a great way to start - as you said, no strain on joints. You will start to feel so much better physically (and mentally) - keep us updated on how much easier it is getting! (it will!) Mich x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done you on taking the plunge (literally in the pool) and joining the gym. The little jacket is just sooo cute. Have a healthy week. Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so agree that lack of exercise and creeping age take their toll on most of us. I've just started doing more exercise and eating a bit better, I can try to reduce a few inches, it's a pity I can't reduce a few years. :) Good luck in your endeavourers. It's surprising how much better we feel in ourselves when we start to take control. It's one of the best ways to keep the dreaded depression at bay.

    Jan x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you joining the gym! I so need to and I haven't bottled up the courage yet, so I understand how big a deal it is. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done on making it to the pool, I know how you feel about the gym so I really can sympathise! The jacket is really cute :) x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you! I'm hopeless at getting myself motivated in terms of exercise, thankfully my three year old keeps me fairly fit! The little jacket is adorable, and your boys all look very comfy and cosy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are Grandsons, 6 and twins but they do love their Granddad.

      Delete
  8. It sounds like you're in quite a time of transition! I'm sure you will feel tonnes better for your time in the pool and how lovely to have the goal of a holiday to look forward to and spur you on!

    Your baby jacket is adorable and certainly one to be proud of - if i'd made that i'd be beaming from ear to ear! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're not alone!I've recently taken up Zumba after realising I was having to wear my big jeans more often than before.Love the little jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done on your new fitness regime, if I was nearer would be joining you but instead will cheer you on from afar. Your house resembled mine but with lee and Shiloh with the golf, huh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Golf is understandable but Smurfs?????? Perhaps OH is in his second childhood?

      Delete
  11. The jacket is lovely - looks really cuddly wool. As someone who is always trying to be 'on a diet' I can sympathise When I gave up being a wage slave my concern was that as most of my crafting is carried out sitting down, my weight would increase. One of my New Year resolutions was to join a gym - er, it seems to have fallen off of my list! Well done with the swimming - apart form great exercise it is very enjoyable. Hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The smurfs is such a good film, the kids love it i am sure i watch it about 9 times a week. i am pretty word perfect with smurfette. lol. TBH much rather re-watch that than exercise xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well done you on doing something positive while most of us just talk about it. The baby jacket is absolutely beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well done you for deciding to make a change. Having made that decision you are half way there. I like walking to keep fit but have not been able to keep up with the gym. Like you I feel I must do 'something with myself' so I am trying to eat more sensibly and perhaps drink a little less vino! Good luck, let us know how you get on!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, every day - that's impressive. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well done on the keeping fit!
    The cardie is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete